ALL IN....


It’s interesting how the Lord gets our attention sometimes (and, by sometimes, I mean yesterday morning).  My life is always hectic.  I have come to expect that as a Pastor’s wife, mother of three, a grandmother of one, a full time work away from home kinda mom, and so on and so forth. I feel weird when I’m not rushed.  However, I don’t really think about it, I just do it. 

My public job is a rather boring one (I hope my boss doesn’t stumble across this blog).  There is not a whole lot to do so a majority of my time is spent looking for things to do.  Yesterday morning I went in, my boss was kind of moving in a hurried fashion trying to get some things done for a presentation that she had.  She told me that she would probably need for me to help her later in the morning.  I went back to my office and read my email and drank my coffee looking forward to having something to do.

A short while later, she came in with a big stack of papers.  She told me how to put them together and said that she hoped to leave by nine.  I looked at the time on my PC, and it was 8:36.  There were 50 packets of papers to put together. 

Also going on at this time was a birthday party for one of my co-workers in our area.  It was supposed to start at 8:30 but they were running late getting things together.  So at 8:38 the first person came in and said, “It’s time for the party, come on in the break room.”  I said, “thanks” and kept on stapling.  The second person came in with the same announcement and said, “Since you look like you’re staying in your office, will you let anyone that comes in know that we’ll be back in about ten minutes?”  I smiled, said, “Sure” and kept right on stapling.  The third person came in and asked if I were coming into the party.  I told her that I had a last minute project and that I would need to finish it before I could join them.  She said, “Well, we’ve got a birthday card.  Could you just come in and sign that?”  I jumped up and briskly walked to the break room and signed the card. 

At about ten till nine, I finished stapling and noticed that I had a stack left of one of the papers.  I counted the packets that I had put together and there were 39.  What???39???  I went to my boss’s office and told her that I didn’t have 50.  She was still making copies.  I took what she had back to my office and started putting them together.  In a few minutes she came with the rest of the papers and we were able to get them all put together in time. 

When she left and I was able to take a breath, I just thought to myself, “I’ve sat here for days with not much of anything to do and today it was like a mad rush to get things done.”

Isn’t that kind of how life is?  When I was in the ‘heat of the battle’ stapling my little heart out the thought went through my head, “Are you all in?”  I mean, is it just me or do those last minute rushes that get your blood pumping make you think about your allegiance?  Is this work really worth getting worked up about?  Yesterday I could’ve been in the break room eating pumpkin muffins, drinking orange juice and singing Happy Birthday with my co-workers.  I could’ve been rubbing elbows with some of the ‘higher ups’.  But, I was stapling what seemed to be endless stacks of papers.

 Was it worth it?  Well, let’s see…..I prayed and prayed for God to move me out of that dungeon of a cashier’s office.  Down there, I had enough work for three people but was expected to keep it all done and up to date.  I prayed, God answered.  Was it worth it?  Yes.  I will say it again….YES!

So, God showed me some things.

1.        I want you all in.

There are several verses in the Bible that tell us that we should serve the Lord to the best of our abilities and with all of our might.



Colossians 3:23

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

Ecclesiastes 9:10

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;

We are here for a reason.  God wants us to focus on what he has for us to do and then do it.  What is your ministry?  Whatever it is, give it all you’ve got.

 

2.      There will be distractions.

I had a job to do.  The other co-workers that were coming in and trying to get me to join them saw the important thing as the birthday party.  I knew that there was something more important that I had to do.  My job was to focus on the packets.  Put them together, staple, repeat, repeat, etc.

 

There will be many distractions in our ministry.  The devil is good at putting road blocks and getting our attention and dangling shiny things in front of our noses, but we’ve got to keep on the right path.

 

 

3.      If you get off track, get back on and keep going.

So, the thing is, I’m the newbie.  I don’t know a lot of my new co-workers and if I hadn’t have signed the birthday card the lady would’ve never known.  But the carrot was so orange dangling in my face…..it looked good.  I just had to take a bite.  I had to have a little part…my name on the BIRTHDAY CARD.  LOL  I got up and signed the card, but I came right back and got back to work.  Sometimes it’s not that easy to get back on track.  Sometimes the Lord has to hit us on top of the head or something to get our attention (or, maybe He just has to do that with me).  Anyway, it’s important to keep our eyes on the true prize.  There are many people around us who won’t reach that prize if we don’t point them in the right direction.

 

So, GET ALL IN and STAY ALL IN.  It is important.  Someday, someone will thank you for being all in and helping them get all in.

Comments

Popular Posts