Controversial?

Tonight I went and watched a movie.  A movie that really touched my heart and made me think about some things.  Now before I get started, I know that many of my IFB friends don't agree with going to movies and that's okay.  I have loved going to the movies since I was a little girl.  Now there's not many that are decent enough to go see, but every once in a while something comes out that I go and see.  This one was 'October Baby'.

 I heard about this movie on Facebook from another Christian. I hadn't heard about it through my little tv watching, from any of my friends, or on any internet ads.  The movie was rated PG-13 so I did some investigating and after watching the movie I'm still not sure why it got that rating.  I guess its okay to talk to 5th and 6th graders about contraceptives in public school, but a movie with something as controversial as (GASP) pro-life issues should be monitored by parents of children under 13.

I don't want to spoil the movie for you if you plan to see it so I want say a whole lot about the plot except that it is about a girl who survived an abortion.  She was the baby being aborted.  The doctor told the mother that it was a 'failed' abortion.  I actually cried during the movie.  Not just a few tears kind of cry, but I had to control myself so no one would hear me sob kind of cry.

This movie made me think about a lot of things, but mostly about what a wonderful forgiving
God I serve.  I found out in my late teens that someone close to me had an abortion, she was made to have an abortion because her parents didn't want to deal with an unmarried pregnant daughter.   Now understand me- and some won't agree with me at all on this- I believe that abortion is murder.  I don't believe that God gives us the right to take an innocent life.  I don't believe that a 'fetus' is just some tissue.  I believe that a 'fetus' is a baby.  A life given by God.  The parents that made their daughter have an abortion lost a lot of respect from me.  It actually hurt me because I knew these people to be good Christian people. (Please don't respond and say that they weren't or aren't)  Anyway, this movie made me think about something.  If God can forgive a drunk, a murderer, a sinner.....why wouldn't He forgive someone who had an abortion?  Well, He would and He does when they ask!  If He forgives, I should too. 

Sin is sin.  I've done plenty that didn't deserve to be forgiven, but it has been forgiven.  What a mighty God we serve!

Life is such an amazing gift.  I think that every birth is a miracle.  I think about how babies grow inside the perfect place that God has created for them inside their mommies, and it still amazes me.  I think about the first time I looked into each of my babies' eyes and all I can do is thank God for blessing me to be a mom three times.  I don't understand how a mom can walk away from a baby in a trashcan.  I don't understand how a mom can walk away from a child that she has birthed and even raised for a little while.  But my God, in His great mercy, will still love these moms...will still forgive them. 

Knowing these things, I can't turn my back or turn up my nose on someone who has made such a mistake.  I must remember that God wants me to love my neighbor.  He wants me to lead those moms or those babies that weren't wanted by their moms to Him.  He is the Great physician, the Ultimate Healer, the Life Giver and He has a place prepared for all of the babies that have been or will be discarded.  Thank you Jesus for your gift of life, love and forgiveness!

Comments

  1. Thanks for having the courage to speak up about this. As far as the abortion issues goes, I've felt a burden for some time now for the women and girls who have had abortions and are hurting inside about that. As you found, there are those who have had them and it wasn't even their choice, someone else made the choice for them. My mother and I had a dear friend who was forced to have an abortion by her husband back before it was even legal because he didn't want another child to provide for. But, regardless of the circumstances, God offers them His forgiveness in Christ, and as His ambassadors, we should represent that forgiveness as well! I have to kind of wonder if there was more compassion and love and less harshness and anger if Christians might reach more of these people for Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts