Check up time....

We all do it....We put off our check ups until next month or next year. 

When my kids were babies (so long ago.....) I always made sure that they went to all of their well checks.  It seemed as though we were always at the doctor's office.  They would be measured and weighed and then we would sit in the next waiting room for what would seem like forever for the doctor to come.  Finally he would come in and greet us with a joke and tell us all how good we looked and tell the kids how big they had gotten.  He would come over to the table and look at their eyes, ears, nose and throat.  He would listen to their heart and lungs.  He would then tell me how much weight they had gained or how much taller they had gotten or whatever the case was.  Then he would give me his opinion of how he thought they were doing and he would give me advice on feeding and exercise and all of that healthy stuff.  Then, of course, if it was shot time.


Anyway, I was thinking about someone that is in the life of a person that is close to me.  She has made some difficult choices in order to better her life.  I am extremely proud of the stand she has taken and the courage she has shown in taking the steps to change.  I have been so touched by her changes, that I have been doing some inventory on my own life.  I call it my spiritual check up.

A lot of times we get so busy in life and so focused on getting things done that we let ourselves go.  A day goes by and we forget to pray.  A day goes by and we forget to read our Bible.  A day goes by and we take for granted all the good things that the Lord has done for us. 

A day is not so bad, but when the day turns into days or weeks, then we have a problem.  I was thinking of this verse:

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17

Have you prayed today?  Read your Bible?  Thanked the Lord for your health, your family, your friends?  Smiled at someone?  Been an encouragement to someone that needed it?

Its the little things that go undone that get us in trouble.  If we know to do good and we don't, then we are sinning.  The Word of God is like the doctor doing a check up.  We can tell if we are measuring up to God's standards by reading His Word.  Sometimes the truth that we read is just like the sting of a shot, but it is the preventative medicine that we need to build our immunity to sin.


Have you had a check up lately?

Comments

Popular Posts