Five Places Christian Shouldn't Find Themselves

A few weeks ago, my honey and I went to Atlanta to celebrate our 25th anniversary.  We had a great time together at the World of Coca Cola and then we planned to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch.  I used my phone to locate the restaurant and get directions and we were on our way.  When we got to the location, I was upset because I'd gone to the Cheesecake Factory before with a friend and this was not the same place.  We drove down into the parking garage and I could already tell that I didn't want to be there.  It just did not feel right.  We rode the elevator up to the ground level and began looking for the restaurant.  I was not comfortable.  I felt outside of my 'class'.  I did not feel that I 'fit in'.  This made me feel insecure, anxious and intimidated.  I was out of my element and would have been pretty worthless if asked to do anything at that moment.  We soon found out that the Cheesecake Factory had moved to a different location (the one I remembered) and we high-tailed it out of there.  I was so glad to get out of that place, but God did use that situation to teach me something that I'd like to share.  Some times in our Christian lives, we let sin in and we go the wrong way.  Soon we find ourselves uncomfortable, insecure, anxious and intimidated.  Those things are not conducive to a good work ethic for the Lord so I think there are a few places that we should not let ourselves go to as Christians.




1.  A Place of Discontent.
Philippians 4:10 - 12
We live in a world of instant gratification and  a 'gimme' society.  It is easy to find yourself in a state of discontent when you are trying to live up to the world's standards.  We have an example in Philippians that we should live in a state of content.  When you find yourself in a place of discontent, it is easy to get your eyes off God and on what the world has to offer.  That is a bad place to be in and a place that Christians shouldn't find themselves.

2.  A Place of Laziness
Matt. 5:16, Eph. 2:8 - 10, 1 Tim. 2:9 & 10 and Heb. 10:22 - 24
I hate even having this in a lesson because I am the world's most laziest person.  If there were an official title, I would hold it.  However, I understand that as a Christian, I should WANT to do more for the Lord.  There are so many people to reach and so little time.  All of the scriptures I gave talk about your 'good works'.  I don't in any way, shape or form believe that we get to Heaven by our works.  I do believe, however, that if we are saved, we ought to WANT to do more for Him.  Those good works that we do (the good deeds so to speak) are testimonies to others of God's love.  Actions always speak louder than words.


3.  A Place of Neglect
Titus 2:3 -5
As Christian women, it is our duty to teach the younger women.  If we do not do it, the world will teach them.  We need to care about new Christians and younger Christians.  They need to be taught and we need to do the teaching.

4.  A Place of Sorrow
Psalm 144:15b yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.
We ought to be happy.  I think that sorrow is contagious and we do not need a whole church of people who are sad.  We are to laugh and cry together, but we shouldn't be sad all the time.  If you are saved, you are missing hell.  You are going to spend eternity in Heaven with Jesus.  I think we have something to be happy about!

5.  A Place of Comfort
1 Peter 5:8
Wait a minute.  I thought you said these were places that we shouldn't be.  Shouldn't we be comfortable?
I know it may be a little confusing, but we can't get too comfortable.  If we are too comfortable then something isn't right.  We are not giving the devil any problems, so he is leaving us alone.  He ought to know our name and say, "well, good grief here comes __________.  Why are they always trying to do good and help people and tell people about Jesus?  Let me just mess with them for a while."  Step out of your comfort zone for a while and give the devil a run for his money.  Give Jesus the glory and a black eye to the devil. 

Let’s get busy for the Lord and get out of these places that we don’t belong!




It was good to get to the place we were supposed to be on our anniversary and we enjoyed that time together immensely.  If we stay in the places that God meant for us, we will be happier healthier Christians and we will be able to let our light shine for Christ.

Comments

  1. Thanks for this thought provoking devotional, Tabiatha. It is a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts