The Wanderings of a Mother Brain

One of my favorite movies is Pride and Prejudice.  It is a clean movie that you can watch with the whole family.  One part of the movie shows Mrs. Bennett in the bed 'sick with nerves' because her daughter has run away from home.  Then someone comes in with a letter that says that the daughter has married.  All of a sudden, her demeanor changes and instead of being sick, she is excited and happy.  The conversation between Mrs. Bennett and Elizabeth Bennett goes like this,

Mrs. Bennett- "Daughter married!"

Elizabeth- "Is that really all you think about?"

Mrs. Bennett- "When you have five daughters, tell me what else will occupy your thoughts.  Then perhaps you'll understand."

I laughed the first time I watched the movie and thought, 'Mrs. Bennett really needs to get a life.'  Well, the movie came out in 2005 so that was a long time ago.  Now I watch the movie and I think, 'Are Mrs. Bennett and I  the only ones that think this way?'  I'm sure my daughter will see this blog and will think that I'm crazy and need to get a life, but maybe I'm not the only one who thinks about stuff like this.

Some day her prince will come....
My daughter is 18 and home-schooled.  She doesn't have a job right now, and there are no boys her age at our church.  So I confess, I often wonder where her 'Mr. Right' will come from.  I know.  You don't have to tell me.  God will handle this.  He will send the RIGHT ONE at the RIGHT TIME.  I know that, but I'm still human.  I still do the mama check on all the new guys that come in to our church.
  While all the girls are checking out how nice (or not nice, lol) he looks, I'm looking at: does he carry his Bible in?  Is he neat?  Is he respectful?  Does he seem to enjoy service or is he coming because he was 'made' to? Is he a participant or an observer?  Does he get involved?  You know, the normal stuff.  It's hard to get all of that information from one visit, so Will we ever see him again?  Does this make me sound like a weird-o?  Maybe so, but that won't keep the thoughts out of my head.

Don't think that I'm in a hurry, because I'm not.  I like the fact that I don't have to worry about my daughter spending time with a boy right now. That doesn't mean that I don't sometimes wander off into the future with my thoughts. Human, remember?  I know that it will happen someday.  I am okay with waiting.  I just thought some other mom with a wandering brain might want to know that she's not alone.

Oh, and by the way, I have been praying for that special someone and I do realize that's probably the extent of my involvement in this area.  But, like I said....Human....

Comments

Popular Posts