Afraid of the Dark?

Welcome to week four of A2Z take 2, with the letter of the week being 'D'.

I have never been afraid of much in my life and I laugh at 'scary' movies, but one thing that I can not stand is the Dark.  I don't like not being able to see and not being in control.  When you are in the Dark you can't really control where you are going or what you may run into or touch or step on because you can't see.

Last summer we were having a terrible thunder storm and in the middle of the night; there was a huge clap of thunder, the lights went out and then there was silence.  No refrigerator running, no fan in the bathroom, no ceiling fans, no nothing.  Total silence and total Darkness had engulfed me.  I was SCARED.  I fumbled around until I found the  flashlight that I had put on my night stand the night before 'just in case' and then I went searching for candles.  I found a couple of candles and lit them thinking that maybe just maybe I could fall asleep.  Of course I never did fall back to sleep, but it did give me some time to think.

The Bible says in 1Peter 2:9 "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:"   The Bible often uses darkness to portray satan or the world.  Laying there that night in the bed, the only thing that could be a comfort to me was praying and reciting verses in my head.  A lot of times in this world the only comfort that I have is my prayer time and my Bible.  God never promised Christians an easy life.  I have learned that bad things happen to good people.

You can be in the center of God's will and the walls can come tumbling down around you.  It doesn't mean that God no longer loves you or cares about you. We just have to accept that His ways are higher than our ways.  He sees the end when we only see the now.

I did make it through my Dark night unscathed.  God didn't leave me even though I was scared and felt uncomfortable because I was unable to control the situation. He was always in control.  He knew the lights would go out, that I would be scared, and that my faith would be made a little stronger that night.  I'm thankful for His marvelous light.

Ps 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Comments

Popular Posts