ALMOST

One thing that I want to do this year is to spend more time writing so I decided to do this a2z challenge where we blog about a different letter each week.
According to Dictionary.com, ALMOST is very nearly. I am Almost finished with my schooling. Last year I Almost met my goal of weight loss, but since I didn‘t make it (and in fact gained what I had lost) I‘m having to start over. Almost is nearly getting to the end, but not getting there. In other words, it is failure. If you set a goal and you almost get to it, no matter how close you got to it, you didn’t get it. It is a sad thought. Here’s a thought that is not only sad, but frightening.
Imagine almost getting saved. You hear the gospel, you think about it, you consider it, but you’re not ‘ready’ so you don’t do anything. You think, ‘I’ll just wait until a more convenient time’ only, there may never be a ‘more convenient time’. The first time you say ‘No’ to something may be pretty hard, but the next time it gets a little easier. I think it’s the same for God’s call. The first time you say no your heart gets a little harder and a little colder, and each time you say no your heart gets harder. After a while your heart is far from that ‘good ground’ and is merely thorns and rocks. In Acts 26:28 Agrippa says to Paul, “Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.” Well, if Agrippa didn’t believe then, I can guarantee you that he believes now. If you are ‘almost’ a Christian, I pray that God will give you another chance. Almost will not get you into Heaven.
I don’t want to Almost be a good Christian, or Almost give my best to the Lord, or Almost be what God wants me to be. I want to go ALL the way. I want to be the best that I can be for the Lord and I want to excel in all that I do instead of just barely scraping by. Colossians 3:23 says, “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.” I want to live heartily, not ALMOST heartily.



a2z: Take 2. Patty Wysong Helping bloggers blog.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you've joined the meme! What you've shared is so true. Almost is, indeed, a sad word, and saddest of all when it comes to someone "almost" accepting Christ. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. We get few do-overs, and our decision about eternity is not one of them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, very good points. I think there are times when almost is very good (like the fact that I almost got my book ready to publish last year, but still have a bit of work to do on it this year) and we should give ourselves a little grace. But so many other times when almost indeed is failure. Good insights.

    Welcome to the meme and congrats on nearly being done with school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having trouble commenting on my own, so I thought I'd piggy-back on Sparrow's comment (Hi, Amy!). I really enjoyed this in-depth look at almost--you are soooo right!

      Delete
  4. You wont believe it, but Alan has preacheds on this very thing the last two services. Even the scripture about Agrippa. It was titled "'Almost' a Christian or 'Altogether' a Christian." Enjoyed your words thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost or altogether... such a HUGE difference! Thanks for making me think! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post and relate to the almost on the weight loss. :( maybe this year
    Diana
    www.pencildancer.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts