Be a blessing to your Pastor


My husband is a Pastor.  He has been a Pastor for 13 years.  We have been at the same church for 13 years.  It has been a huge blessing, but it has also been hard.  I have had some of my best friendships, best times and best years during those years. 

One of the things that I see as a Pastor’s wife is that people want to do things for the Pastor, but they don’t know what to do.  I want to try to be a help to you and give you some ideas on what you could do for your Pastor to be a blessing to him.  You may already be doing these things.  If you are, thank you.  From the bottom of my heart, I say thank you.  I think that the people who try to bless the preacher and try to make his life easier will receive rewards in Heaven.

You may be doing these things already and think that it is not enough.  Guess what?  It is.  Sometimes the small things make a huge impact on people.  So, for you, this is to let you know that what you’re doing doesn’t go unnoticed.

1.        Be faithful to church. 

Did you ever think that your Pastor looks for you in service?  Now, we have a small congregation so maybe it is different for a large congregation, but my husband looks for our members in service.  If they are missing one Sunday, he will wonder aloud during the drive home if they were sick, if one of their kids were sick, or if something happened to them on the way to church, etc.  Your Pastor looks for you.  He cares about you and wants to make sure that you are getting the nourishment that you need.  It is an encouragement to him to see you in church, so just be faithful and be a blessing.



2.        Pray for your Pastor and his family.

I heard an illustration one time (and firmly believe it to be true) that Pastors have a huge target on their backs and the devil is constantly firing at them.  Your Pastor needs prayer.  He needs prayer in the good times and he needs prayer in the bad times.  Your Pastor also needs prayers for his family.  Pray a wall of protection around your Pastor’s family.  He needs them to be okay.  The devil will attack a man where he is most vulnerable and where it will hurt the most.  For most men, that is their family.  Pray for your Pastor and his family and be a blessing.


3.       Pay attention.

My husband and I drive separately on Wednesday nights because I work and have to come straight to the church in order to make it on time.  A couple of Wednesday nights ago one of our members noticed that the tires on my husband’s truck were all bad.  My husband and I had already been talking about the fact that maybe new tires would be something the church could do for him for Pastor’s appreciation Sunday, but somebody was paying attention.  Someone paying attention and seeing a need was a huge blessing to our family.  My husband hates to ask for things, but he will tell someone what we need if they ask.  Why not just spare your Pastor from worrying himself to death and pay attention to his family’s needs.  Does he wear the same suit every Sunday?  Are his tires bad?  Does he have groceries in the pantry?  Does his grass need to be cut?  I don’t know what your preacher needs.  Do you?  If you don’t know what he needs, ask.  Look for small things that he or his family needs and be a blessing.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts