Monday, monday and a recipe....

It's Monday again.  Time to get back on the diet wagon after a hefty amount of eating yesterday.

We had homecoming at church and as always there was lots of good food.  I made my famous Mexican Cornbread Casserole that I got from an old church cook book and tweaked it a little bit.

I get lots of requests for this recipe so I'm going to share it with you today.  It is a really easy recipe and takes less than an hour to prep and cook and can pretty much be your dinner all by itself.  You could add a salad or a vegetable on the side if you want, but my family likes it as is.


Ingredients:
2  & 1/4th cups of cornmeal mix
2 eggs
1 heaping tbsp crisco
1 15 oz can creamed corn
enough buttermilk to make it a little thinner than normal cornbread batter



2 lbs lean ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups grated cheese of your choice (I like Mexican blend)
2 small cans of chopped chilis

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Mix 1st five ingredients to make corn bread mixture (I'm sorry that I don't have the exact measurement for the buttermilk.  If I had to guess I'd say 3/4 to 1 cup.) and then cover the bottom of two greased cast iron round skillets or 1 greased 13 x 9 pan.  You just want a very thin layer.  Cook this in your oven for about 10 minutes.  You want the bread mixture to be a little firm.

While you wait on the corn bread mixture, start browning your beef.  When it gets about half way done, add the taco seasoning and tomato sauce.  Continue to heat until the meat is completely done.***

Once you have your pan(s) of cornbread a little firm and your meat done, you will cover the bread mixture with the meat mixture.  Then, scatter your chopped chilis on top of the meat.  Next, pile on the cheese (as little or as much as you want, but believe me the more the better).  Lastly, pour the remaining cornbread mixture on top. This will also be a thin layer, just spread it out as much as you can.

Cook in your oven for 35 minutes.  This is so good it will make you want to slap your mama, but don't hold me liable for injuries.

If you have questions, please email me at tabswritings@yahoo.com .

*** My family doesn't eat onions, but the original recipe does include them.  I've been cooking it so long without them that I don't remember how much onion you should add. If you want onions, then add them to your heart's content.***

Comments

Popular Posts