Favorite childhood relative....Part 1

I really don't remember having a 'favorite'.  If I did, it would have had to be one of my grandmothers.  Growing up I had my mom's grandmother, "Maw"; my dad's mom, "Grandma Mountain" and my mom's mom (who is still with us), "Nanny".  Each of them had and have a very special place in my heart.

Maw was a really tall and stout woman with frizzy black hair and big hips.  She had fake teeth that she would flap at you if she was feeling silly and she always had snuff.  When I was around five or six we were having a house built and we lived with her for a little while after our first house sold.  I remember that I didn't like sleeping in her bed because she had itchy sheets. 

She lived two houses down from my Nanny so this was a very special time in my childhood.  I could walk over to Nanny's house and hang out with her as much as I wanted (as long as someone watched me walk to her house and back). Even before we moved in with Maw we would always go by and see her if we were at Nanny's.  I don't know if I liked going to her house, or the walk over to her house.

I don't remember Maw's cooking very much, but I do remember her cooking strawberries on the stove with sugar and milk.  I don't know why that memory stands out in my head so much, but it does.  I remember that whatever it turned out to be was really yummy.  I also remember that Maw had a covered place to park but she used it sometimes to put a really big quilt out and sewed out there.  (I think I remember that, maybe I dreamed it, not really sure)

After I got married I worked at a bank close to Nanny's house and I would go eat lunch with her just about every day.  At that time, Maw was in bad health and was living with them.  I got to spend a lot of time with her before she died and I loved hearing her tell stories and just talking with her

Comments

Popular Posts